It’s really important that you know how to reduce the chances of a fire starting in your home and how to keep yourself, your family and your property safe from fire.
Did you know that around 60% of accidental fires start in the kitchen? Never leave cooking unattended or children and pets in the presence of anything cooking while you’re not there. Take care with clothing and tea towels or cloths when leaning over hobs and naked flames. When lighting a gas cooker it’s often best to use a spark device rather than matches.
Candles, incense and oil burners are one of the other major causes of fire in the home. Always make sure they are on a hard, steady surface and be aware that tea lights can melt through plastic surfaces like a TV or a bath. Before you go to bed always check that everything has been extinguished properly and that nothing is near the hot wax.
Smoke alarms provide a vital early warning if they are in good working order and can give you and your family more time to escape in the event of a fire